JOY. Oh sweet, joyous, joy.
This time of year, we see this word everywhere on holiday cards, mugs, ornaments, notebooks, Instagram posts, and sugar cookies. Joy usually appears in shimmering sparkles, bold metallics, and soft water colors. Joy looks good, but what does it really mean?
Here’s a definition (thanks Dictionary.com)
- the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation: She felt the immense joy of having perfectly groomed eyebrows.
- a source or cause of keen pleasure or delight; something or someone greatly valued or appreciated: Plume products are pure joy.
- the expression or display of glad feeling; festive gaiety.
- a state of happiness or felicity.
- to feel joy; be glad; rejoice.
Dang, joy sounds pretty darn amazing. Tis the season to cultivate more of this infectious happy, loving, blissful feeling. So let’s get clear on exactly how much joy is currently in your life, and we don’t mean another bedazzled notebook, although that can’t hurt ;)
Joy is all around us, but are you feeling it?
How much joy is in your life right now?
How much joy do you share and create with others?
How often do you want to feel joy?
How often do you want to create joy in others?
Do you already feel a whole sleighful of joy and want a whole blizzard more?
Are you ready to create, spread, and feel even more joy in your life?
Here are our 12 favourite ways to spread joy this holiday:
1. Self-care: spread joy by taking excellent care of yourself, body, mind, and soul. It’s incredible what you can create by just taking more time to take care of you! Here are some places to start practicing self-care:
- Body: Move and love your body up! Go for a walk, do a yoga class, get a massage, and/or give yourself daily self oil massages (sweet almond oil is incredible) while consciously thanking each body part for all that it does for you. There is joy in your body.
- Mind: Expand and thrill your mind! Spend time rereading your favourite book or finish the one on your night stand, learn about a topic you’ve been curious about on YouTube, or try a new creative activity like painting or origami! Joy is in your mind.
- Soul: Connect to the purest part of you! Meditate, hold a baby, pray for guidance, look into the heart of a rose, practice forgiveness with yourself and others, or just stand outside in nature and listen to life sing. Your soul is joy.
2) Volunteer at your local soup kitchen to cook and serve food. There is nothing like the joy of feeding other people, especially during the cold winter months!
3) Try a new winter sport that you have never done or haven’t done since you were a kid. Skating is one of our favourites, or tobogganing, or cross-country skiing, or making snow angels!
4) Host a cookie exchange! Here are the rules: Everyone brings a dozen cookies, you share with each other and everyone walks away with one or more of each type of cookies. Most of the time when community comes together everyone walks away with more than what they brought. Find some cookie inspo here!
5) Schedule time to FaceTime or Skype a loved one far away. Be really present, notice how often you bring a smile to their face and they to yours.
6) Write down 3 things that bring you joy and a grateful heart every morning for a month! The list has to be different every single day and detailed - include descriptive flowery words that your english teacher in high school would have hated!
7) Wear bold brows and lips - express yourself, impress yo-self! May we suggest splurging on our limited edition Brow Collection? It includes our Nourish & Define Brow Pomade (available in 5 smudge proof, bold, and beautiful shades), our classic Lash & Brow Enhancing Serum, and Sculpt & Refine Precision Tweezers.
8) Play dinner table games to get connected with people. Table Topics is a great set of apps and games you can purchase to do this, or if you want a free version, create your own mini AMA (Ask Me Anything) where everyone around the table can ask each person any question they want. You make the rules.
9) Make your own holiday cards and send them in the mail (go old school, with STAMPS). I suggest painting with water colors, glitter bombing, and cat stamps - they exist, ask your local post office! Nothing says 'I love you' like kittens and glitter all over the carpet!!
10) Acknowledge yourself for who you are, start with:
- What you love about who you are when there is nothing to be done and no one to impress?
- What do you value most about yourself?
- What are you most proud of yourself for in 2017?
- What do you love most about them?
- What most inspires you about who they are?
- Who have they been for you and others, and why does that rock your socks right off?
12) Laugh for at least 10 minutes, every single day. #CatsOfInstagram is a great start.
We hope these practices bring you and yours immense happiness, gaiety, and elation this holiday!
Pluminati, you are our greatest joy!
What’s your favourite way to spread joy? Share in the comments below.