In part 1 of our mask makeup series, we talked how to maximize your brows according to your unique brow type. In part 2, we’re chatting about how to maximize our other favorite feature – lashes! Keep reading for:
- Instant lash boosting tips
- Long-term lash enhancement
- Preventative lash health tips
Instant Lash Boosting Tips
FOCUS YOUR MASCARA ON THE OUTSIDE EDGES OF YOUR LASHES & EMBRACE THE WIGGLE
This creates that fanned-out, ultra-dramatic lifted look we all love. Try going super light on your inner lashes and focusing more of the product on your outer lashes.
Also, when applying mascara, start at the root of the lashes and wiggle the brush gently across the lashes to tease out the most length possible.
TIGHTLINE YOUR LASHES
Apply liner on the inside of your upper lashline to create the illusion of extended lashes. Lift the lid slightly and brush the liner back and forth, stopping before the inner corner to keep the lash illusion alive. This trick also makes your lashes look fuller by filling in the gaps at the base of your lashes.
Vet your chosen liner’s ingredients carefully since you’re applying it right next to your eye.
USE A QUALITY LASH CURLER FOR AN INSTANT LASH LIFT
A lash curler is a game-changer for your lashes. If you do nothing else, a lash curler alone can make your eyelashes look instantly longer and more fanned out.
The caveat: not all lash curlers are created equal. Some can cause breakage and others just don’t work all that well. Our Curl & Lift Lash Curler is a Pro-Mua fave for a reason! It works on all eye shapes, all lash lengths, and creates a flawless, lasting curl.
Pro-tip: make sure to change out your lash curler pad as soon as you start to notice a crack in the pad. The pad is the difference between crimped lashes and a perfect gradual curl.
How to curl your lashes: step-by-step
1. Open the curler wide and place along your upper lash line. Pause to ensure that all your lashes are within the opening and that your eyelid skin is free. Wiggle the curler a bit to ensure the curler is right at the base of the lashes.
2. Gently press the curler closed and hold for 10 seconds. For additional lift, ‘pump’ the curler open and closed for an additional 10-15 seconds.
3. Apply mascara immediately after curling. Curl one side, then apply mascara. Then move to the next eye, curl that side, and apply mascara.
4. Store your Curl & Lift Lash Curlerin its satin bag to preserve the matte black finish & keep the curler pads clean and free from dust or debris.
If your mascara doesn’t do a perfect job of separating your lashes (and this is key to full-looking lashes), try using tweezers tips to wiggle those clumps apart.
And stay tuned for our growth-activated mascara coming soon – it is the be-all, end-all for long, luscious, flawlessly separated lashes.
Long-term lash enhancement
INVEST IN A LASH SERUM FOR SERIOUS LENGTH & FULLNESS
Use a lash serum nightly to bring your lashes to their longest, darkest, and most feathery! Especially during the winter months, your lashes need extra moisture, nourishment, and love and will respond to a lash serum even more.
Our Lash & Brow Enhancing Serum works to lengthen the growth phase of your lash cycle and shorten the falling-out phase so your lashes can reach their longest possible lengths. It also builds the strength of your lashes so they don’t fall out prematurely – that means more lashes and a fuller looking lash line.
Once your lashes have reached their maximum potential, you can switch to using the serum 2x3 times per week to maintain your results.
Preventative Lash Health Tips
REMOVE YOUR MAKEUP EVERY NIGHT
The skin and lash follicles goes through intense regeneration at night, shedding toxins and dead skin cells. Makeup gets in the way of this process, clogging pores and not allowing skin and hair follicles to breathe. Also, makeup attracts aging free-radicals throughout the day, and no one wants premature aging taking place while they sleep!
Makeup removal is especially important if your makeup contains drying, pore-clogging, or toxic ingredients – your skin works overtime at night and will absorb any products left on the surface of the skin.
Be gentle when removing makeup (and use a gentle remover)
The average drugstore makeup remover/makeup wipe contains harsh, drying ingredients that can irritate hair follicles and strip essential moisture from your lashes. Instead, use a gentle, hydrating, non-toxic makeup remover (coconut oil is a great option) and press down gently to remove makeup. Aggressive rubbing can cause fragile lashes and brows to break and/or fall out.
AVOID DRYING, GROWTH-INHIBITING INGREDIENTS IN YOUR BEAUTY PRODUCTS
We’ve talked about this often – many eye makeup products contain harsh, non-breathable ingredients that can actually inhibit the growth of your lashes. If you’ve noticed lash thinning or if you’re using a lash serum and aren’t seeing the desired results, this could be the reason. Here are the top ingredients to avoid:
1. Polyacrylamide and Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP): These ingredients form a coating over hair, skin, or nails. In a mascara, it keeps lashes in place by preventing moisture absorption. The problem is, moisture is essential for normal lash growth.
2. Isoparaffin, Paraffin Wax, Liquid Paraffin: Paraffins acts like plastic wrap – impeding the skin’s ability to release toxins. This can inhibit lash and brow growth as the follicles become blocked.
3. Alcohols: Alcohols with low molecular weights can be very drying to skin and hair. The ones to avoid in your lash products: isopropyl alcohol, ethyl alcohol, benzyl alcohol, denatured alcohol, methanol, and SD alcohol.
4. Methicone, dimethicone: A silicone-based polymer, methicone creates a barrier that stops oil and sweat from entering/leaving the skin. The concern for lash and brow loss: a blocked hair follicle cannot function properly (and toxins can’t be released properly).
Medicated eye drops can also wreak havoc on your lashes – if you’re using these frequently and noticing lash breakage, consider investing in a lash serum to help offset the damage and bring your lashes back to life.
Send us a message anytime with your lash & brow questions and leave your tips and tricks down below!
- The Plume Team ❤