Buying less: we’re beauty lovers too, and at first glance, this idea does not sound fun. But we swear, it’s not as scary as it seems. Let’s chat about the “why” of buying less: how it can save you money, save you time, and save the planet while you’re at it. Today’s blog is about:
- The wasteful state of beauty
- What you can do
- Multitasking beauty: why it’s the answer
- How Plume products multitask
- Your impact of buying less
THE WASTEFUL STATE OF BEAUTY
The sad truth is: beauty products make up more than 1/3 of all landfill space, producing more than 120 billion units of packaging every year!
All of this amounts to 6.9 billion tons of plastic waste floating around – 8.8 million tons of which winds up in the ocean every year!
WHAT CAN WE DO? BUYING LESS
There's a lot of different ways to reduce waste: recycling, reusing, and the most powerful way to reduce waste (and declutter our lives): using less. This doesn’t mean giving up our love for makeup or even changing our look. It just means getting conscious about what we’re using - choosing quality, holy-grail products that last and multitask, and eliminating unnecessary products from our routine.
WHY BUY LESS
- You will save so.much.money! When you stop buying those totally random impulse-buys and focus on quality products that last (and do more), you’ll be amazed how much money you’ll save.
- More calm. A decluttered space is a decluttered mind - outer order brings inner calm. Read our blog on How to Marie Kondo your Makeup for more on this topic.
- More time. When you simplify your beauty routine and pare down your collection, you save so much time sifting through products, trying to keep your collection organized, and choosing between 10 versions of the same product.
- The planet. This is the most compelling reason of all and one we can’t ignore. The less unnecessary things we buy, the less items end up in the landfill and in our oceans.
THE HOW: BEAUTY THAT MULTITASKS
Our favorite way to make ‘using less’ super easy: holy grail products that multitask! Each product you own should serve multiple purposes (and serve them well!) No need for 100 different products to do the job that a few consciously selected gems can do just as well.
First, look at the products you already have. Get creative and try using them in different and unexpected ways! That ivory eyeshadow can double as a highlight, that blush can double as a lip color/eyeshadow, and we’ll tell you all the uses of your brow product down below! It can actually be fun to experiment and it may get out of a beauty rut.
The one caveat: when you’re using products like eyeshadows/lipsticks on other areas of the face, check the ingredients for any pore-clogging/irritating ingredients. Choose non-toxic products with gentle, non-irritating ingredients.
HOW PLUME PRODUCTS MULTITASK
NOURISH & DEFINE BROW POMADE
Created as a brow filler, our pomade is also infused with growth-activating ingredients for thicker, bolder brows over time. All the ways you can use it:
As a Brow Filler: create natural-looking brows or full-on Instagram brows. A little goes a long way – apply first to your hand, then to your brows to control the amount of pigment.
As a Brow-Growth Serum: wear daily for thicker, bolder brows over time. Read this blog for more on how the pomade helps grow your brows.
As an Eyeliner: create sharp lines, smudgy lines, or a smokey effect on your bottom and/or top lash line. Bonus: this is extra growth actives added to your lash lines for even more lash-growth potential!
Faux Freckles: we’re so happy that freckles are finally getting the love and attention they deserve. To go faux, use a very small amount of pomade, press gently, and dab on those faux freckles. For a natural, sun-kissed look (even in winter), focus the freckles across your nose or the tops of your cheeks.
Masking Greys: use your pomade to color in small grey areas along your hairline. Certain Pro Makeup Artists swear by this trick – dab a little on those greys when can’t make it to the salon.
Once-in-a-While-Contour: if you’re someone who only contours for special occasions, our brow pomade can do a gorgeous job. The one caveat: it is growth-activated so we don’t recommend for daily use - occasional use is completely fine though!
LASH & BROW ENHANCING SERUM
Our 100% natural lash & serum is effective, yet incredibly gentle and therefore can be used in a multitude of different ways:
- Use on upper lashes AND lower lashes
- Use on brows
- Use along the hairline in sparse areas
VEGAN DUAL-ENDED BROW BRUSH
To Fill Eyebrows: the first one’s a given - use the brush end to apply your pomade and the spoolie end to soften harsh lines and brush hairs into place.
Mapping & Shaping: place your brush alongside your nose to determine where your brows should start and diagonally to the outside of your eye to determine where they should end. Read our full blog on brow shaping here
Eyeliner Brush: use the thicker side for smudgy lines, the thin edge for precise lines, and the very tip for those tight corners.
Taming Flyaways: the spoolie end works perfect to de-static flyaways that just won’t lay flat.
Lip Exfoliator: ever been on vacay with dry, scratchy lips? Some quick circular passes with your pomade brush will leave your lips smooth and flake-free!
SCULPT & REFINE TWEEZERS
- As conventional tweezers
- To separate eyelashes
OTHER WAYS TO REDUCE WASTE IN YOUR BEAUTY ROUTINE
- Buy quality products – tools like tweezers and lash curlers should last a very long time, potentially a lifetime if they’re high-quality. Our Curl & Lift Lash Curler is incredibly durable and should last indefinitely if you care for it. Just replace the pads when you need to, and you’re set for a very long time. Not having to replace and rebuy these items saves more landfill waste.
- Eliminate single-use items like cotton pads and makeup wipes. As convenient as these are, they’re not totally necessary and are entering our landfills by the billions. An easy swap: either buy (or make your own) reusable pads. They’re washable and can be reused for a long time. To make your own: cut up t-shirts you no longer wear. Sew two pieces of fabric together with an easy stitch around the edge.
- Stop buying products with pumps. No pump can be recycled – they end up in the landfill 100% of the time. For items like hand soap, pick up some natural bar soap from your local natural foods/beauty store. No packaging needed and definitely no unrecyclable plastic pump.
- For the products you decide you don’t want or need – give them to your friends/family. Something you don’t love may look great on a friend's different skin tone, skin type, eye color, hair color, or face shape. This saves more products from the landfill.
THE PACKAGING SITUATION
The truth is: all of us beauty brands can do better with packaging. And for us specifically, we know we have a long way to go. But we're working on big changes!
Our first step towards more sustainable packaging is with our soon-to-be-launched Nourish & Define Brow Pencil. This pencil is fully refillable, eliminating packaging waste from having to constantly buy new pencils. Also, very soon we’ll be introducing a refillable option for our brow pomade! Stay tuned <3
Thanks for stopping by our blog beautiful! We always love to hear from you – leave your comments below or send us a message anytime <3
- The Plume Team