When it comes to lash serums, there is A LOT to choose from! And while they all promise great things, it seems you are always sacrificing one thing for another. Read on to find your 'just right' option.
Prostaglandin (hormone-based) Serums
This treatment was originally developed to treat glaucoma and was later approved for use on eyelashes. Patients were reporting eyelash growth as a side effect of the medication. How to know if your serum is prostaglandin based: it will have 'bimatoprost' as the active ingredient.
There are also synthetic prostaglandins which carry the same side-effects as Bitmaprost. Look for these names on labels: Isopropyl cloprostenate, Isopropanol Phenyl-hydroxyl-pentene Dihydroxy-cyclopentyl-heptenate, Dechloro Dihydroxy Difluoro Ethylcloprostenolamide, or Trifluoromethyl Dechloro Ethylprostenolamide.
Read more about this option here.
- The effectiveness rate is very high.
- Results can start at one month and continue until 12 weeks.
There quite a few potential side effects to this option, including:
Photo credit: New York Times
- Lashes that are grown with this kind of serum are very long, thin, and wispy. They resemble hairs more than eyelashes.
- Cost: it's about $120 per month.
- When your lashes become accustomed to this external supply of hormones, your lashes may shed rapidly when you stop using the product. Why? Your lash follicles are trying to return to their natural function with the added hormones.
When switching from a prostaglandin-based serum to Plume: we recommend waiting at least 3 months between treatments. This will give enough time for your lashes to return to normal.
Chemical-based, non-prostaglandin serums:
- These are very easy to find – there are many different brands available at your local drug store.
- Many options are quite inexpensive.
- Users have reported noticeable growth from some brands.
- These serums are completely unregulated. This means that almost any ingredient can be in the formula besides the 11 ingredients that are currently banned for use in cosmetics. Reading the label is essential – these are your eyes we’re talking about.
- Risk of irritation: redness, burning, itching, swelling, blurred vision – our eyes don’t react well to chemicals so at least a few of these side effects are common for users.
- Effectiveness: while some brands have a higher effectiveness rating than others, the results are still patchy. You need to decide if the potential positives outweigh the negatives.
- Cost: while some are low-cost, others are just as expensive as their natural counterparts.
- GREEN-WASHED SERUMS: These are the chemical-based serums that are marketed as ‘natural’ or ‘green’ or vegan in order to mask the true formulation. Read the ingredient labels to be vet these claims. Also keep in mind, vegan or cruelty-free does not = non-toxic. Look for animal-friendly AND non-toxic!
This category (of which we are a part of) has a large window of effectiveness. While natural ingredients can be extremely powerful growth agents, you need to find the right ingredients at the correct concentrations. Do your research, ask around, and read reviews on reputable sites you trust before buying. This goes for every kind of serum out there.
- Highly reduced chance of irritation – without the chemicals, your only risk of irritation is an ingredient allergy. If this happens with our product, we will always stand behind our 100% product guarantee and offer you a full refund.
- It works! Our success rate is 95% when used as directed. For maximum success: apply 2x per day for 6-8 weeks to see results and use up the whole bottle for maximum results (about 12 weeks). Visit our site for before/afters!
- Your lashes won’t mass-shed as with some chemical or prostaglandin based options. They will slowly return to normal within 4-6 weeks if you discontinue use.
- The formula is completely non-toxic and safe to use while pregnant and breastfeeding. *Always consult your doctor to ensure it is appropriate for your specific situation.*
- Can be used with lash extensions! The serum will actually extend the life of your extensions while protecting + growing your own underneath! Read more about Plume + lash extensions here.
- You can switch application to 2-3 times per week once you’ve reached maximum results. This will maintain the length and density you've already achieved.
- Our serum can also be used on brows and lower lashes! All-in-one.
- Cost: we use a variety of exotic, hard-to-source (and many organic) ingredients. This means the cost can be higher than some chemical-based, generic alternatives.
- Time-to-results: for the majority of people (there are a few lucky outliers), the results take a few more weeks than with chemical alternatives. The other side: results will last longer and are void of side-effects.
- Supply is not as widespread as some of the chemical-based options. The easiest place to find our serum in every city: Nordstrom. If you live in big cities: Credo Beauty and Detox Market. And of course, you can purchase on our site + many more websites on our ‘find stores’ page.
Ultimately, we believe in #beautywithoutsacrifice. You shouldn't have to sacrifice results for clean ingredients or vice versa. You can absolutely have it all and we know you'll agree once you try our all-natural lash & brow products!
Wishing you love, laughter, and lots o'lashes
-The Plume Team